Woman of beauty – Janelle Rennie
Woman of beauty – Janelle Rennie
FashioNZ speaks with beautiful Janelle Rennie - Marketing Manager for Caci Medispas - about her busy career and what she does to stay looking fabulous.
What does your job involve and what are your passions?
I’m the Marketing Manager for Caci Medispas (formerly Caci Clinics) nationwide. We have 26 Cacis located from Whangarei to Invercargill, catering for the beauty and appearance needs of New Zealand women from the bottom of the country right to the top.
An arm of the business imports and distributes the product ranges used throughout the Caci Medispas. It’s this same arm that sees me managing the marketing for Smashbox Cosmetics throughout the country, although not through the Caci channel.
Smashbox is available at selected Life Pharmacies and various boutique outlets throughout New Zealand. We’re about to launch our own Smashbox Cosmetics concept store in Ponsonby.
By night (and very early in the morning) I also masquerade as a Spin Instructor at Olympic Gym in Newmarket.
What is your daily beauty routine?
Sweat (and lots of it)! Ha-ha.
No, I cleanse and tone, use a skin treatment from Murad’s great range of step two problem solvers, and moisturise daily. I also never walk out the door without Murad’s SPF 30 Oil Free Sun block on. Its super light, won’t cause breakouts and leaves no oily, greasy feel on my skin.
What is the secret to ageing gracefully?
Remembering that beauty and appearance treatments are about managing the ageing process. Doing a little and doing it often when you’re younger, rather than leaving it until it’s too late.
What is your top beauty tip?
Micro dermabrasions at least once per month, it removes build up and congestion, keeps breakouts at bay and ensures that your makeup sits flawlessly. You couldn’t ask for more than that.
What are your favourite beauty products?
• Smashbox Photo finish Primer Light RRP $72.00
• Smashbox Halo Hydrating Mineral Powder $72.00 and Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer $48.00
• Cellex-C Seline E Moisturizer $136.00
• Murad T Zone Pore Refining Gel $59.00
• St Tropez Self Tanning Mousse
• Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle…such a sexy fragrance, I have been wearing it for years now and recently brought the purse spray edition even.
What is a typical day for you?
• Up at 5.30am and to the Olympic Gym where my 6am class sits willing and eager (and trying to keep their eyes open) on their bikes for a solid work out session
• Home after the gym: shower, put washing on, moisturise my entire body from top to toe, hair, makeup, clothes, shoes, change clothes, change shoes, select handbag , out the door. Back in the door; put washing (mostly work out gear) in the dryer, off to work.
• Work 8.30am, a slave to my desk (and the coffee shop) for the majority of the day. I do love my job though. I’ve met some really wonderful people through my current role at Caci and Smashbox, each day I can honestly say I consider myself to be very fortunate indeed.
• Leave work around 5.30pm if I’m lucky. Then it’s either back to the gym, or to the supermarket, and I’m really trying to take up yoga also which would fit into this time slot but haven’t got around to it yet.
• 7.30pm, home to cook (or be cooked) dinner for my partner Sam and I. Chill out, watch some TV, play some cards or just talk about our days for a while.
• 9.30pm Bed.
What is your never-fail, quick 3 minute quick make-over routine?
As soon as you asked me this, I hear our International Smashbox Trainer in the back of my mind repeat over and over, PRIME, PAINT and FRAME girls!
1) PRIME: Apply Smashbox Primer Light over entire face to prepare the canvas for step two
2) PAINT: Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer and Halo Mineral Powder, followed by a swipe of Smashbox Starburst baked bronzer across cheeks, forehead and chest
3) FRAME: Smashbox Brow Tech in Soft Brown to eyebrows using the Angled Brow Brush Number 12 (good brushes make makeup application so much easier), followed by Bionic Mascara to completely frame your face and highlight your best features.
4) 10 seconds left - I’d also then follow with a bit of liner and lippy or gloss to finish it off. Done in three minutes and guaranteed to have you looking naturally gorgeous.
What are your top five indulgences?
1) Sparkling water, it tastes so much better than still.
2) Chemical Hair Straightening every six months. It’s not cheap – but the time alone saved every morning by cutting my GHD time down to all of fiveminutes is completely worth it.
3) Eat anything you want Sundays. Being good and watching what you eat six days a week is much more achievable when you know you can treat yourself to it on Sunday.
4) Deep tissue/Sports massage. Not relaxing at all, but when you’re training hard you need to treat your body, if not for anything else than to keep it moving.
5) Bubble Bath. I don’t have a bath at my house right now, so it’s even more of a treat when I get to have one.
New primer packaging
What is your favorite spa treatment?
Easily Microdermabrasion, not a relaxing, indulgent procedure by any means but the results are amazing and I credit them regularly to reducing build up, congestion, breakouts and (gasp!) blackheads that we all loathe.